Skip to main content

For Tenants

This section provides a guide for AHB tenants with information and useful links to other organisations’ websites that may be of assistance.

The Register of AHBs

From the 1st of January 2022, AHBRA has the responsibility for establishing and maintaining the register of AHBs and for registering organisations as AHBs.

If you wish to establish whether your landlord is a registered Approved Housing Body (AHB) please use the link below to check the register.

Register of Housing Bodies with Approved Status

The Residential Tenancies Board

AHBs are required to register all tenancies with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB). The RTB, is a public body set up to support and develop a well-functioning rental housing sector, and their remit includes private rentals and AHB rentals.

The role of the RTB is to regulate the rental sector, provide information and research to inform policy, maintain a national register of tenancies, resolve disputes between tenants and landlords, initiate an investigation into conduct by a landlord, and provide information to the public to ensure tenancies run smoothly and no issues arise.

Please use the link below to find out more about the role of the RTB.

Residential Tenancies Board

Charities Regulatory Authority

The majority of AHBs are also registered charities and are subject to regulation by the Charities Regulatory Authority (CRA). If you wish to establish if your AHB is a registered charity; find out more information on the responsibilities of a registered charity or the role of the CRA please use the link below:

The Charities Regulator

Minimum standards in rented accommodation

Local authorities are responsible for enforcing minimum standards in rented accommodation. This includes inspection of properties. If you are a tenant and you think your accommodation is not up to standard, you can contact your local authority.

Further information in relation to minimum standards.

Back to top of page