The functions and powers of AHBRA are in accordance with the legal framework set out in the Housing (Regulation of Approved Housing Bodies) Act 2019 (the Act).
The powers and functions of AHBRA will continue to be commenced on a phased basis throughout 2022.
AHBRA will be responsible for several functions, including to:
- establish and maintain a register of AHBs
- register persons as AHBs
- prepare draft standards for approval by the Minister and publish
- monitor and assess compliance by AHBs
- carry out investigations under Part 5 (of the Act)
- under Part 6 (of the Act) protect tenants and AHBs and cancel the registration of AHBs
- encourage and facilitate the better governance, administration and management including corporate governance and financial management, of AHBs
- promote awareness and understanding of the Act
- collect such information concerning AHBs as the Regulator considers necessary and appropriate for the purposes of the performance of the Regulator’s functions,
- publish such information (including statistical information) concerning AHBs as the Regulator considers appropriate.
AHBRA will have responsibility for establishing and maintaining a register of AHBs, preparing standards by which AHBs will be monitored and assessed, and encouraging and facilitating the better governance, administration and management, including corporate governance and financial management of AHBs. The Regulator will also have powers to carry out investigations and cancel the registration of AHBs.