The functions and powers of AHBRA are in accordance with the legal framework set out in the Housing (Regulation of Approved Housing Bodies) Act 2019 (the Act).
The remaining sections of the legislation were commenced by the Minister in July 2022.
AHBRA is responsible for several functions, including to:
- establish and maintain a register of AHBs
- register persons as AHBs
- prepare draft standards for approval by the Minister and publish
- monitor and assess compliance by AHBs
- carry out investigations under Part 5 (of the Act)
- under Part 6 (of the Act) protect tenants and AHBs and cancel the registration of AHBs
- encourage and facilitate the better governance, administration and management including corporate governance and financial management, of AHBs
- promote awareness and understanding of the Act
- collect such information concerning AHBs as the Regulator considers necessary and appropriate for the purposes of the performance of the Regulator’s functions,
- publish such information (including statistical information) concerning AHBs as the Regulator considers appropriate.
AHBRA has responsibility for establishing and maintaining a register of AHBs, preparing standards by which AHBs will be monitored and assessed, and encouraging and facilitating the better governance, administration and management, including corporate governance and financial management of AHBs. The Regulator also has powers to carry out investigations and cancel the registration of AHBs.